Sunday, December 4, 2011

Napoleonic Austrian Artillery

We used to have a member of our group with a good sized Austrian army. Alas, he finished his PHD and left Bloomington to start his career. He did not leave his Austrians behind. I have a small Austrian army; roughly one corps in Volley and Bayonet terms. It allows me to fight some of the 1813 battles such as Liebertwolfwitz. I need more Austrians.
I recently made my first purchase of painted figures from Ebay. Almost every figure in my Napoleonic collection has been painted by me. I got these for a very good price and they fill a much needed gap.

The basing is basswood, with air dry clay painted brown, drybrushed tan and flocked.


There are six bases. I plan to double my Austrian army to 2 corps, plus cavalry. Someday, I want to refight Dresden.
I plan to run the battle of Raab in the first quarter of 2012 at one of our monthly club meetings.

9 comments:

  1. Ebay does bring up a bargain from time to time, I've not heard of the Battle of Raab before, I'll try and find some info on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice as well as timely addition, Mike! Like you, almost all my troops were painted by me; still, a purchase of second hand Prussians really jump started that army for me.

    Raab is a great battle to re-fight - The French/Italians have better troops, but the Austrians have a very strong position. Are you going to paint any Hungarian Insurrectio? I love their blue uniforms as a change of pace form the usual Austrian white, and this is one of just two or three battles where they actually appear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't decided whether to paint the Hungarians in blue, or just generic Landwehr. I will be painting some Insurrection cavalry. One way or the other, I will be beefing up my long neglected Austrian army.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austrian napoleonic artillery. I love the old-fashioned look of the Mesieurs a lot. I feel a long surpressed urge towards smaller scales coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,
    Sweet looking troops! I see you took the plunge and based your troops for Volley & Bayonet. I don't know why I havent yet - I use flocked sabots and it's a huge pain when I go to move a regiment and a stand or 2 fall off! Nice work,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the sabot method for years and then decided that Volley and Bayonet would be the rules I use for Napoleonics and AWI. My ACW figures are still mounted for Johnny Reb and I still play that system, so I am not ready to rebase them for V&B.

      Delete
    2. I used the sabot method for years and then decided that Volley and Bayonet would be the rules I use for Napoleonics and AWI. My ACW figures are still mounted for Johnny Reb and I still play that system, so I am not ready to rebase them for V&B.

      Delete